Dirty hack to get cairo compiled universally

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 2 22:35:02 PDT 2008

I have not yet had a chance to evaluate your other message. But I
wanted to note:

On Aug 1, 2008, at 15:44, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

> I made another change to the Portfile for the variant no_x11 (see
> attached renewed Portfile)
>
> variant no_x11 conflicts glitz description {Omit X11 support} {
>     depends_lib-delete \
>         port:xrender \
>         port:render
>     configure.args-delete \
>         --x-includes=${x11prefix}/include \
>         --x-libraries=${x11prefix}/lib \
>         --enable-xlib \
>         --enable-xlib-xrender \
>         --with-x
>     configure.args-append \
>         --disable-xlib \
>         --disable-xlib-xrender \
>         --without-x \
>         --enable-atsui
> }
>
> I added "--enable-atsui" as the ATSUI font backend is primarily
> used to render text on Apple OS X systems. Especially in
> combination with no_x11 that one should(!) be enabled. I use "sudo
> port install +no_x11 +universal" to build Gtk applications with
> pango and gtk (both also with "--without-x" configure setting)
> that don't need X11 but run in native Quartz.

There is no option --enable-atsui anymore. There was in cairo 1.4.x,
but as of cairo 1.6.0 I believe this option is now called --enable-
quartz-font, and as you'll see in the "platform macosx" section, this
is already added to the port.

> As mentioned in one of the earlier mail threads:
> I always manually compiled cairo universally with: --enable-quartz
> --enable-atsui --without-x

I am still trying to figure out how to compile cairo 1.6.x
universally. How are you doing it? It breaks for me:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15451

> manually compiled pango universally with: --without-x
> manually compiled gtk universally with: --with-gdktarget=quartz --
> without-x
>
> As mentioned: This enables you to build Gtk-Quartz applications:
> Very nice!

Other than fixing cairo's universal build (how?), what do we need to
change so that you can do this with MacPorts?