Problem with MacPorts on OS X Leopard

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Sun Aug 3 15:22:06 PDT 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I am having problems installing ruby and readline using MacPorts 1.600
> on OS X Leopard (10.5.4).
>
> When I run the following from the command line, this is the error I
> receive:
>
> sudo port install readline
> Password:
> ---> Activating readline 5.2.012_1
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: Another
> version of this port (readline @5.0.005_0+darwin_8) is already active.

You have a MacPorts installation that was made during 10.4 then you
upgraded your system to 10.5, and this configuration is not
supported.  Safest is just to move /opt/local aside (so you can keep
config stuff around) then do a new install of MacPorts.  Also, make
sure your Xcode install is updated for 10.5.

Bryan