Problem with MacPorts on OS X Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 3 19:42:45 PDT 2008

On Aug 3, 2008, at 18:35, Mark Hattam wrote:
> At 16:48 -0600 3/8/08, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:31 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:
>>> (2) In addition, how would you suggest I install the new version of
>>>  MacPorts (from source or dmg)?
>>
>> Depends on your needs and whatnot, most still install from the DMG
>> but
>> many things have been fixed since the last release, if you're talking
>> about running from trunk instead of 1.6.0.  If you just mean building
>> 1.6.0 vs. 1.6.0 DMG, shouldn't be any difference.
>
> So why doesn't MacPorts self-update itself with these "many" bug
> fixes when you do
>
> sudo port -v selfupdate
>
> or are these bug fixes not proven?

We do not have anyone managing MacPorts releases at this time, hence
no new release of MacPorts has been made since 1.6.0, which was
awhile ago (December 2007), so understandably many fixes have been
made in trunk in that time. If you would like to try the latest
development version of MacPorts, you can do so using these instructions:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk