Having a pretty rough time getting php5 installed

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Fri Aug 8 20:15:11 PDT 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, at 8:31 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> And here is what I want to install:
> sudo port install php5 +apache2 +mysql5 +pear +imap +sqlite +tidy
>
> * As a side note, this is a test machine, an identical one is at a
> colo fascility, and I do not want to run ports on that machine, but
> take the install from this machine, to that machine, how would I do
> that, and how would I change the path and final location of php5 to
> something other than /opt

The problem here is that Mac OS X records library path locations in
executables and libraries.  You could, I suppose, use
install_name_tool to rewrite all of them, but that would be very, very
tedious.  Also, it would require everything built to have enough room
in the binaries for the new paths, which means they need to be built
with -headerpad_max_install_names when linking (and most probably
aren't).

> ** In the future, if I need to add some other config option to php5,
> like maybe I want to add pspell or something, what would that process
> be to get it on the live server?

You'd have to rebuild the port with the additional variant (if
available), eg, 'sudo port install php5 +pspell' in this case.

> ports runs, and then bails on me, here is what it says:
> Password:
> --->  Fetching mysql5
> --->  Attempting to fetch mysql-5.0.51a.tar.gz from http://distfiles.macports.org/mysql5
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for mysql5
> --->  Extracting mysql5
> --->  Configuring mysql5
> --->  Building mysql5 with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
> .macports.org_release_ports_databases_mysql5/work/mysql-5.0.51a" &&
> make all " returned error 2
> Command output: /usr/bin/sed \
> 	  -e 's!@''AWK''@!!' \

Hmm, switching AWK with an empty string, smells a lot like the Tcl
environment bug:

<http://trac.macports.org/wiki/LeopardProblems#environmentvariablesbecomeblankbetweenconfigureandbuildphases

Clean the affected port (sudo port clean --work mysql5) and continue
with your original install command.

> my-username at my-username:/opt/local/lib/ $sudo port install php5
> +apache2 +mysql5
> Password:
> Error: Requested variants do not match original selection.
> Please perform 'port clean php5' or specify the force option.

You just changed the list of variants, so that's why it complained here.

> my-username at my-username:/opt/local/lib/ $sudo port clean php5
> --->  Cleaning php5

That's the proper way to clear out the build configuration.

But mysql5 is the one that failed, so it's the one that needs the
clean.  After that, you can either clean php5 again and reuse the
original list of variants, or not clean php5 and use this new set of
variants for php5.

Bryan