Having a pretty rough time getting php5 installed

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Aug 10 06:13:57 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-09 , at 16:38 , Rainer Müller wrote:

>> On my system I do not have local/var/log
>> sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/log/mysql5/
>> So that will error, maybe there should be a log dir, not sure, not
>> sure what would make it.  The docs here at least do tell you maybe
>> try
>> another set of permission commands
>
> Can't comment on this one, I don't know if mysql5 is supposed to
> create
> /opt/local/var/log/mysql5/.

Why would it create it? It isn't needed to run mysql. The MySQL manual
states

  "By default, all log files are created in the mysqld data directory."

You can change the locations in my.cnf

I found the best location (for my systems) is /etc/my.cnf - all the
versions of mysql that I have
used find the configuration there - built by Apple, built by MySQL,
built by MacPorts.

8)