Nagios/Macports on PowerMac G5

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 09:54:43 PDT 2008

>Hi folks,
>
>I am running Nagios in several instances on Linux machines for a few years
>now, so I thought I give it a try on a Mac.
>
>I have installed Macports and with that nagios (3.03) on a PowerMac G5
>Dual
>1,8 GHz (2,5 GB RAM), have configured 3 hosts and around 100 services -
>which is not much.
>
>Now there is several problems that I do not find any way to get around:
>1. Nagios uses 150 - 200 % of cpu (since it is a dual cpu system that
>makes
>sense) in normal operation. One of my other nagios instances on a linux
>box
>monitors 30 hosts with 400 services inside a virtual machine on a pentium
>III box without noticable cpu load. The rest of the machine (system,
>services) run on unimpressed with normal process behaviour (just a
>mailserver and the OS, nothing else).
>What is happening there?
>2. Nagios simply stops every now and then; it is not launchd stopping
>nagios, but the nagios process itself seems to hang somehow. It simply
>does
>not do any checks any more. Or a sub process hangs while trying to send an
>email. These hangs are quite weird - top and other tools list these
>processes as normally working processes, but they stop in the middle of
>something and do not go on or never finish. launchd does not recognize
>nagios as failed then and does not restart it.
>
>I would be interested in looking very deep into this and spending quite
>some time, but I do not now where to look at. Any hint or help is
>appreciated.
>
>Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I maintain the nagios port, but I haven't used it for awhile, and not
since version 3.  In the past it was always very stable.  Have you run
Nagios v3 on Linux?  It may be a bug in the source of v3.  Could you ask
the Nagios support list about this?  I don't have a running installation
of nagios right now so I couldn't answer any questions they might ask.

Mark