User configuration file

Adam Byrtek adambyrtek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 07:43:54 PDT 2008

I tried to tweak a few configuration options for MacPorts in my home
directory, but unfortunately when I run port I get the following
error:

sources_conf must be set in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf or
in your /Users/alpha/.macports/macports.conf file
   while executing
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts,
sources_conf must be set in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf or
in your /Users/alpha/.macports/macports.conf file

This happens even when the file ~/.macports/macports.conf is
completely empty, so my guess is that the options set in /etc are not
inherited. This basically means I have to redefine all the defaults,
which is not very intuitive. Moreover the error message states that
sources_conf should be defined in /etc *or* in my home directory, so I
would call this a bug. However before I report a ticket I want to
consult the mailing list.

Best regards,
Adam