User configuration file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 15 16:56:22 PDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 18:08, Adam Byrtek wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Ryan Schmidt
> <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> The Guide doesn't even mention the possibility of a .macports
>> directory in your home directory at all.
>
> I knew about this file from the manual page:
>
>      ~/.macports/macports.conf
>        User configuration file for the MacPorts system. It
> overrides the
>        global macports.conf file.

On my system with MacPorts trunk, the FILES part of "man
macports.conf" reads:

FILES
      ${prefix}/etc/macports/macports.conf
                 Standard system-wide MacPorts configuration file.

      ~/.macports/macports.conf
                 User-specific configuration override. This file, if
found,
                 will be used instead of the default file at $
{prefix}/etc/mac-
                 ports/macports.conf.

Still, this should be in the Guide, since the Guide should contain
everything.