perl Build.PL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 17 14:24:47 PDT 2008

On Aug 17, 2008, at 01:05, Michael Thon wrote:

> I am writing a portfile for the perl module package bioperl.  The
> package uses a Build.PL script instead of Makefile.PL.  The script
> fixes dependencies by installing perl modules with CPAN, and even
> upgrades CPAN in Mac OS leopard.

Yeah, that would be pretty bad.

> I know very little about these
> configuration and build systems but I assume that for macports, this
> automatic dependency resolution should be handled by macports and not
> the package's installer.

Right.

> Does anyone know if there is an easy way to
> disable the dependency checking, or do I have to patch the Build.PL
> script?

You'll have to ask the authors of bioperl, or read the Build.PL to
see if any such options are provided. One would hope that if the
required dependencies are already present (e.g. through MacPorts)
that Build.PL wouldn't try to install them again. But I have no idea
if that's the case here.