How do you install a distribution file (not a port name)?

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Fri Aug 29 12:56:35 PDT 2008

Citando James Moore :
> How do you use the port command to install a distribution file?  I've
> got a bunch of things downloaded and I'd like to just copy the files
> over to another machine and do something like:

You have the options when you install a port of creating an archive (it
is in a config file, I don't remember which). Then you will have a
/opt/local/var/macports/packages/system/arch/ directory in which the
package will be stored. Duplicating the archive to the good place on the
other machine makes 'port install git-core' able to use those
ports that have been precompiled by your other machine.

> sudo port install /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/git-core/git-1.5.6.3.tar.bz2

The argument can only be the name of a port, a meta-name of a port
("outdated" or "category:tex" for example).

Best,

Emmanuel