1.7.0 beta & rc1: libcurl errors

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Dec 8 13:41:14 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 03:25:19PM -0500, Jay Levitt said:
> I know this isn't a great bug report, because I already overwrote the fail
> case; sorry about that.
>
> I upgraded from a DMG-installed 1.6.0 to a built-from-source 1.7.0 beta 1.
> I then updated a bunch of ports, but I don't think libcurl was one of
> them.  (Is there a log?  I don't think there is.)
>
> Today, I tried using git, and got:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/git
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: git requires version 6.0.0 or
> later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 5.0.0

Did you happen to activate an older version of the curl port?  What does
'port installed curl' say, as here, 7.19.2_0 is installed and libcurl has a
compat version of 6.0.0 and current 6.1.0.

> I tried to rebuild the port, but the port command had the same problem:
>
> sudo port clean git
> couldn't load file
> "/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib":
> dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10):
> Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: Pextlib.dylib requires version
> 6.0.0 or later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 5.0.0

This could be an issue with selfupdate as it should be linking Pextlib
against the system libcurl, not one found in MacPorts.  Will have to look
into this.

[...]
> I tried upgrading to 1.7.0rc1, but IT had the same problem:
>
> $ svn switch http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_7_0-rc1
> $ ./configure;make;sudo make install
> [...]
> /usr/bin/tclsh src/dep_map_clean.tcl /Library/Tcl
> can't find package Pextlib 1.0

Probably the above issue I'm guessing.

[...]
> Finally, I did "make clean;make;sudo make install" which succeeded.  I was
> then able to get things working:

Suggesting selfupdate is picking up the MacPorts one instead since make
should be seeing the system libcurl properly.

> $ sudo port clean git-core
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> --->  Cleaning git-core
> $ sudo port sync
> $ sudo port install git-core
> Error: Requested variants do not match original selection.
> Please perform 'port clean curl' or specify the force option.
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: curl

That's interesting, definitely sounds like you have some oddities with the
curl port, which would explain the git issues mentioned above.

Bryan