Macports Install 1.6: cshrc shell not working

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Dec 9 11:36:57 PST 2008

List Acct wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Yesterday I installed Macports 1.6 in a Powerbook running Leopard 10.5.5
> in one of our user's computers,  so that I could install ImageMagick
> more easily.
>
> After installing it, her cshrc shell environment was hosed.
>
> When she typed  in echo $PATH, the Macports directory was returned.
>
> /opt/local/bin
>
> which had been added in her .bash_profile file, but she is not using bash.
>
> So, the temporary fix was to create a shell script that sets
> environmental variables.
>
> How do I permanently fix this problem without uninstalling Macports?

Uninstalling MacPorts won't help (if you follow the usual instructions),
this is a shell configuration file issue. It sounds similar to what was
reported in this ticket: <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17588>

>From a quick glance at the man page, it doesn't appear that tcsh will
read .bash_profile, so that won't be the problem. If it's the same
problem as in the ticket, a new .tcshrc will have been created with the
MacPorts environment stuff, thus causing .cshrc to be ignored. The
solution would thus be to combine .tcshc and .cshrc into one file.

- Josh