Install or use problem: no .profile created

Joachim Oosnaabryg osna at ginko.de
Wed Dec 10 06:14:06 PST 2008

Hello Helpers,

I wanted to use the Import RTF Function in LyX (LaTeX) with the
converter "rtf2latex2e" which is an available port on MacPorts
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=rtf2latex2e

The advice came from the LyX user list:
> If there is no native os x version, then install macports (<http://
> www.macports.org/>), and from there install the needed packages.

I followed the advice, downloaded the Mac-OSX 10.4 Tiger version of
MacPorts, made the standard MacPorts-1.6.0-10.4-Tiger.dmg installing,
the installer program said "MacPorts have been successfully installed
at your system" or the like,

but now I'm puzzling about:

==> How to "install the needed packages" (i. e. the rtf2latex2e
script or package) "from there" (MacPorts?).

Testwise I called in the Terminal
sudo port -d selfupdate
with the answer: "sudo: port: command not found"

Therefore I ask you:

How can I proof if MacPorts is installed rightly?

Of course probably I also need some "first help" to use it at all,
especially how to install then an unix application like the
rtf2latex2e converter?

Hopefully,
Goutgaun! joachim
--
MacTeXLive 2008 - TeXShop 2.18-svn - LyX 1.6
MacBook Pro OSX 10.4.11 Tiger