plplot fails to build

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 09:21:30 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
>> Ah, in fact I built the whole gnome stack with +no_x11 (gtk-osx), and
>> plplot apparently supports cairo quartz drivers -- we just need to
>> tell it not to use X11 somehow.
>>
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
>>> .macports.org_release_ports_science_plplot/work/plplot-5.9.0/
>>> drivers/cairo.c:43:24:
>>> error: cairo-xlib.h: No such file or directory

I still wonder whether anybody knows how to make plplot build with
+no_x11 -- it is using cmake which is different from make.

>> Also, plplot variants only include python, java, and octave.  Who
>> decides that OCaml and Ada are not needed on a Mac?  :)   Similarly,
>> SWIG lacks OCaml although it has it in the source.  What's the idea
>> with cutting things from the ports?  Can there be a "full" install by
>> default -- if a package provides everything?  E.g., one may have
>> OCaml
>> from source, so you may use OCaml bingings even if OCaml is not in
>> macports.
>
> Mostly it's the sort of lame tradeoff between too many dependencies
> and
> not enough functionality that comes from the lack of a fix for
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/126>.

How do I see (a) all variants the port provides, (b) the variants the
port is installed with?  Then, how do I change (b) by selecting other
variants from (a)?

Is it possible to add +x11 to gtk things compiled as +no_x11 without
forcing those things of using quartz to use x11, selectively?

Cheers,
Alexy