Configure error? vim wouldn't build without linking x11

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Dec 10 14:25:45 PST 2008

Joel Thibault (MacPorts) wrote:
> It appears that either configure is not detecting my system properly
> or vim depends on X and is not looking for it.
>
> When I tried to upgrade vim, the linker kept failing with this error.
> /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: Undefined symbols:
> __Xsetlocale
>
> Adding -lX11 to the linker command line enabled it to build and now I
> have the new vim.
>
> Maybe there should be a no_x11 variant, too?

vim should not require X11 with the default variants, as the Portfile
explicitely configures using --without-x. Only if you chose one of the
GUI variants +athena, +gtk2, +gtk1, +motif it will require X11.

> OS X Tiger 10.4.11
> Macports Trunk
>
> I saved the output from port -d upgrade -cuv vim, but I didn't want to
> paste 1452 lines :)  Would any of that be useful?
> Joel

Might be helpful to see why X11 support was enabled although it is
disabled. Could you also provide config.log from the work directory?
Best would be to open a ticket in Trac[1] and attach it there.

Rainer

[1] http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets