Install or use problem: no .profile created

Joachim Oosnaabryg osna at ginko.de
Wed Dec 10 14:22:09 PST 2008

Am 10.12.2008 um 19:32 schrieb Joshua Root:
> That's a bug in the 1.6 installer:
> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#a.profilenotsetup>

Great, Joshua, that's it. Without your kindly help I hadn't found
that page!

Hardly understandable, that the macports-creator let the new
(installing) user unknowing of the bug and the fixing script (I lost
a day with trial and error without success).
It should be made clear at the install-page: http://www.macports.org/
install.php
but what is written there dosn't let you suspect that there is e
fundamental bug:

"This procedure will place a fully-functional and default MacPorts
installation on your host system, ready for usage. If needed your
shell configuration files will be adapted by the installer to include
the necessary settings to run MacPorts and the programs it installs,
but you may need to open a new shell for these changes to take effect."

Or at least as a warning at
http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell

But however, with the command:

curl -O http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/
release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight && bash postflight

all went well.

So the problem of installation of MacPorts seems to be resolved. I
continued with:

sudo port install rtf2latex2e

which went logtime well, but finished with:

--->  Configuring rtf2latex2e
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_tex_rtf
2latex2e/work/rtf2latex2eUnix-1.0fc1/Unix" && ./configure --prefix=/
opt/local " returned error 1
Command output: creating cache ./config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install
...- still more "yes" and "found", but then:

checking host system type... ./config.guess: line 1017: syntax error:
unexpected end of file
configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

I'm not fit to read from this wether the problem lies in the
rtf2latex2e port, or in the MacPort configuration.

If someone has a knowing/guess/hint about it, please tell me, what
you would do after this error message, please!

Goutgaun! joachim
--
MacTeXLive 2008 - TeXShop 2.18-svn - LyX 1.6
MacBook Pro OSX 10.4.11 Tiger