problem installing rsync

Waheed Samy wasamy at umich.edu
Wed Dec 10 15:11:45 PST 2008

I am getting an error installing rsync.  I would be grateful if you
can provide assistance.  The following shows the output of the port
command.  Before doing this I ran sudo port -v selfupdate, and found
the package up to date.

MacBook:~ waheedsamy$ sudo port install rsync
Password:
--->  Configuring gperf
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gperf/work/gperf-3.0.3" && ./
configure --prefix=/opt/local --infodir=/opt/local/share/info "
returned error 1
Command output: checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
=== configuring in lib (/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gperf/work/gperf-3.0.3/lib)
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure '--prefix=/opt/local'  '--
infodir=/opt/local/share/info' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.
configure: error: ./configure failed for lib

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: libiconv gperf popt
gettext expat ncurses ncursesw
MacBook:~ waheedsamy$

Much obliged.
Waheed