freeciv and freeciv-x11 ggz problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 10 22:27:46 PST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 16:13, William Davis wrote:

> unable to install  freeciv-x11 or activate freeciv:
> macintosh:~ frstan$ sudo port install -d freeciv-x11
> Password:
> --->  Fetching freeciv-x11
> --->  Attempting to fetch freeciv-2.1.8.tar.bz2 from http://superb-
> east.dl.sourceforge.net/freeciv
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for freeciv-x11
> --->  Extracting freeciv-x11
> --->  Configuring freeciv-x11
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_games
> _freeciv-x11/work/freeciv-2.1.8" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local
> --enable-client=gtk2 --with-readline --with-zlib --enable-nls --
> with-sdl-prefix=/opt/local --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/local --
> mandir=/opt/local/share/man " returned error 1
> Command output: checking for C99 initializers... yes
> checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
> checking for C99 stdint.h... yes
> checking for gzgets in -lz... yes
> checking zlib.h usability... yes
> checking zlib.h presence... yes
> checking for zlib.h... yes
> checking for gzip... /opt/local/bin/gzip
> checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... yes (version 2.14.4)
> checking for X... libraries /usr/X11/lib, headers /usr/X11/include
> checking whether Xfuncproto was supplied... no, found:
> checking for sdl-config... /opt/local/bin/sdl-config
> checking for SDL - version >= 1.0.0... yes
> checking SDL/SDL_mixer.h usability... yes
> checking SDL/SDL_mixer.h presence... yes
> checking for SDL/SDL_mixer.h... yes
> checking for Mix_OpenAudio in -lSDL_mixer... yes
> checking building SDL_mixer support... yes
> checking for GGZ library: libggz... yes (libraries /opt/local/lib,
> headers /opt/local/include)
> checking for GGZ library version: 0.0.14... yes
> checking for GGZ library: ggzmod... yes (libraries /opt/local/lib,
> headers /opt/local/include)
> checking for GGZ configuration tool: ggz-config... /opt/local/bin/
> ggz-config
> checking for GGZ library: ggz-gtk... no
> configure: WARNING: no
>   The library 'ggz-gtk' does not seem to be installed correctly.
>   Headers searched in:  /opt/local/include /usr/local/include /usr/
> include
>   Libraries searched in:  /opt/local/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/local/
> lib64 /usr/lib /usr/lib64
>   Please read QuickStart.GGZ in order to fix this.

My theories so far:

freeciv-x11 does not declare a dependency on libggz. However it looks
like freeciv-x11 will use libggz if present. That's the first bug
that needs to be fixed. Either freeciv-x11 must be changed to not use
libggz even if present, or freeciv-x11 must declare a dependency on
libggz.

Second, libggz appears to have been built without gtk support, and
freeciv-x11 apparently does not work with libggz without gtk support.
That's the second bug. Either libggz must declare a dependency on
gtk2 so that it always builds with gtk support, or there needs to be
a variant in the libggz port to enable gtk2 support. In the interest
of fewer variant, I assume the former is preferable.

Your workaround for now would be to deactivate libggz, clean and
install freeciv-x11, then reactivate libggz if desired.

> macintosh:~ frstan$ sudo port install -d freeciv
> Password:
> --->  Fetching freeciv
> Please note that this port conflicts with port:freeciv-x11.
> --->  Attempting to fetch freeciv-2.1.8.tar.bz2 from http://
> voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/freeciv
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for freeciv
> --->  Extracting freeciv
> --->  Configuring freeciv
> --->  Building freeciv
> --->  Staging freeciv into destroot
> --->  Installing freeciv @2.1.8_0
> --->  Activating freeciv @2.1.8_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
> local/etc/ggz.modules is being used by the active gnome-games
> port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to
> force the activation.

Third bug: It sounds like the freeciv (when built while the libggz
port is active) and gnome-games ports conflict. It will need to be
decided which of these two ports, if any, should be the true owner of
${prefix}/etc/ggz.modules.