Distfiles mirror behind proxy

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 10:33:55 PST 2008

Max Asato wrote:

> This thread got a bit fragmented so I'll restate this particular
> problem.
> Sorry about the length of this posting.
>
> I had created a binary archive on one system and copied the archive
> to another system in the hopes that I could install the binaries
> directly and avoid a second build.  This would demonstrate the
> feasibility of accelerating Port installations for users on our
> network
> by providing a shared repository for prebuilt archives.
>
> It turns out that I either just happened to pick an odd package for my
> initial testing or there are architectural differences between a
> PowerMac (2x dual-core Xeon) and an iMac (Core 2 Duo) that the
> glib2 port
> cares about.

Seems that you got unlucky, yes.

> I built glib2 originally on a PowerMac running 10.4.11.

>    abk239$ ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/packages/darwin/i386/glib2*
>    -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  3629276 Dec  8 13:18 /opt/local/var/
> macports/packages/darwin/i386/glib2-2.18.3_0+darwin_8.i386.tgz
>
> I then tried to install that binary on an iMac running 10.4.11 (which
> doesn't seem to support the darwin_8 variant).  This failed even
> when that
> variant was requested.
>    DEBUG: No TGZ archive: /opt/local/var/macports/packages/darwin/
> i386/glib2-2.18.3_0.i386.tgz
>    Error: Target org.macports.unarchive returned: Archive for glib2
> 2.18.3_0 not found, required when binary-only is set!
>

> So it looks like MacPorts is searching for an archive and would
> have used
> it if the port and variant had matched.  So the jury is still out on
> whether it is worth the effort of creating a mechanism for sharing
> prebuilt binaries among our users.

This sounds like a bug to me. Presumably the default variants
should have matched, between "archive" and "unarchive"...

+darwin_8 isn't even a real variant but a platform variant,
and it should match between 10.4.11 and 10.4.11 you'd think ?

Can't seem to reproduce it, though. Trying the same gets me a:
DEBUG: No TGZ archive: /opt/local/var/macports/packages/darwin/i386/
glib2-2.18.3_0+darwin_8.i386.tgz

So it must be something else that causes +darwin_8 to disappear
on your iMac installation. It is supposed to predefined for you.

--anders