MacPorts 1.7.0 has been released

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Dec 13 21:22:02 PST 2008

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> The MacPorts Project is happy to announce that, after nearly a year in
> the making, the 1.7.0 version has been released.  It is now available
> via the usual methods:

Kudos to Bryan for his work in packaging this release.

> The list of what's new in 1.7.0 is quite extensive (so I won't list it here),
> the details can be found in the NEWS [7] file or the somewhat more
> exhaustive ChangeLog [8].

Quick highlights:

We have worked around a bug in Leopard's Tcl which often caused
mysterious build failures.

There should no longer be any need to use the -f option in normal use.

Several bugs which affected the -R option have been fixed.

You can choose which architectures to build for in the +universal
variant, using the universal_archs setting in macports.conf. Must be a
subset of ppc, i386, ppc64, x86_64. (Note that not all ports will build
universal, and even less will build for all architectures.)

We now try to download files from the mirror with the fastest ping time.

We now have our own mirrors which are added to the mix, so fetch
failures due to the upstream site being down should be much more rare.

You can sync using a daily tarball of the ports tree by adding a line to
sources.conf like:
http://macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz

- Josh