connection errors when macports libs are used with Tiger X11 headers

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Dec 14 10:29:39 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 02:51, MAS! wrote:

>>> yes, gtk-demo works.
>>
>> Yeah, there seems to be some problem when some libs link against
>> the Tiger X11 libs and others link against ones from Macports... I
>> started a thread about this in macports-dev yesterday...
>
> thanks; I really need my gtk applications under tiger..

I suggest you just sudo port -v -f uninstall all your xorg-* ports and
rebuild what was linked against them or pull in all the xorg-* ports
and recompile ports that were linking against the system X11.

I'm sorry I don't have something better than that as a solution right
now.  I'm working on it.

I think that just looping through the installed binaries with
install_name_tool changing them from using /usr/X11R6/lib/... to /usr/
X11/lib/... should work as a mid-term solution... but it's messy.

> but it seems even gtk-doc port is broken:
>
> (...)
> configure: error: could not find DocBook XML DTD V4.3 in XML catalog
> (...)
>
> (even if the docbook-xml-4.3 port is installed)
>
> thank you in advance for the support

That kind of thing I know nothing about.  XML DTD cruft scares me...
Open a ticket ;)