More than one version of a port installed.

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 14 15:51:53 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 03:32:22PM -0800, David Epstein said:

> On doing port installed, I found many examples like this:
> tcl @8.5.4_0
> tcl @8.5.5_0 (active)
>
> The first would not allow an uninstall because of dependencies. Is there
> anyway to reasonably clean up the situation so that I end up with only one
> version (the latest) of each port? But I suppose that wouldn't work because
> some port may insist on a particular outdated version of a package it
> depends on. So what's the best one can do in this direction with not too
> much manual work?

As of 1.7 uninstalling the inactive ports shouldn't complain about them
being needed as dependencies.  So using:

$ sudo port uninstall inactive

should clean out all the inactive ports; just make sure everything inactive
is stuff you don't need anymore or already has been upgraded.  You can use:

$ port installed inactive

to list just what's installed but inactive.  Otherwise you'll need to
specify exactly which needs to be uninstalled, using your tcl ports above:

$ sudo port uninstall tcl @8.5.4_0

Bryan