guile doesn't build for me

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 15 10:46:58 PST 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 1:15 PM, David Evans wrote:

> james wrote:
>> Hello, I don't know if this email will end up anywhere, but I'm
>> trying
>> anyway. Guile 1.8 or 1.6 do not build on my computer. I'm using osx
>> 10.4.11. This is the output from the failed attempt:
>> Thank you
>>
>> (I'm only copying this to devans at macports because the last change
>> made
>> was signed by him, I don't know if he has anything to do with guile)
>>

>> jamesebaileys-computer:/Users/jamesebailey/Downloads bigdaddy$ sudo
>> /opt/local/bin/port clean guile
>> --->  Cleaning guile
>> jamesebaileys-computer:/Users/jamesebailey/Downloads bigdaddy$ sudo
>> /opt/local/bin/port install guile
>> --->  Fetching guile
>>

>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>
> James --
>
> I just tried building guile and it completed without error (also on
> 10.4.11 PPC).  Suggest you
> make sure your ports are up to date by issuing
>
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port clean --all  guile
>
> before trying again.  Is this an initial install or an update?
>
> Dave

Given the way you gave the port command:
>> bigdaddy$ sudo
>> /opt/local/bin/port clean guile

I wonder if the bug in macports 1.6 install that failed to setup the
macports path in your ~.profile has bitten you. if so this bug (and
many others) is fixed in macports 1.7.  I suggest you download that.
Im not sure that sudo port selfupdate will run correctly if your PATH
is not correctly set.
William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.5 Darwin 9.5.0
XQuartz 2.3.2_rc3 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple27)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non