KDE4 applications need X11 ?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Mon Dec 15 11:40:24 PST 2008

Hi,

OK, I've been experimenting with building the KDE4 ports over the last
few days. I'm new to macports so bear with me, but I'm having some
issues.

I finally managed to get kdebase4 built, which gives some basic
applications like kwrite, konqueror. However, each time I start these
they trigger X11 to start ! I thought these where suppose to be using
QT4-mac, which is OSX native, but it seems some X11 dependency is
sneaking in. The apps do seem to be aqua though. After starting they
seem to hang (after triggering X11 to start) but if I kill X11 off
they sometimes come up (kinda off, all icons are messing and most
things don't work).

Its clear I haven't done something correct here, either or the KDE4
ports are simply well broken at the moment (I know they are
experimental). I thought I had perhaps accidentally built them with
X11 enabled somehow, so I went back through and rebuilt explicitly
disabling X11, following the suggestions here

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Mac_OS_X/Macbook_Manifesto

but no luck.

Has anyone out there built the KDE4 ports successfully ?

One thing I had to do was use gcc 4.2 for kdelibs4 - I wasn't sure
whether I should then use gcc 4.2 for all other KDE4 ports, or go back
to gcc 4.0 for them. I tried using gcc 4.2...

cheers Chris