R GUI

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 15:25:50 PST 2008

On 17 Dec 2008, at 22:01, David Epstein wrote:

> Chris Janton wrote:
>>
>> On 2008-12-17 , at 10:46 , David Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> port list R* can't do what we want, can it? The shell tries to
>>> expand R* to
>>> match a file in the current directory, and otherwise exits with "No
>>> match".
>>> If one shields R* from the shell with quote marks, for example, then
>>> one
>>> gets a list of all ports starting with R or r, and there are too
>>> many of
>>> them for comfort.
>>

>> face at mac:~:125 $ port list R*
>> R                              @2.8.0          math/R
>>
>> That's running from trunk - so MacPorts version is
>>
>> face at mac:~:126 $ port
>> MacPorts 1.8.0
>> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
>> [Users/face] > ^D
>> Goodbye
>>
>> On my *old* system
>>
>> face at x:face:123 $ port
>> MacPorts 1.600
>> Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
>> [Users/face] > ^D
>> Goodbye
>> face at x:face:124 $ port list R*
>> face at x:face:125 $
>>
>> Looks like you need a newer version of port ;-)
>>

> I have version 1.700 of MacPorts, under MacOsX 10.4.11, and when I
> do sudo
> port selfupdate, I'm told I am already up-to-date.
>
> This discussion is assuming a complexity that I didn't at first
> suspect. I
> found to my surprise that bash and tcsh interpret port list R*
> differently.
> bash seems to pass the R* argument unaltered to port. But tcsh
> attempts an
> immediate expansion of R* before handing over to port.
>
> I am still unable to track down the other difference, in that on my
> machine,
> the argument following "port list" seems to be dealt with in a
> case-insensitive manner, and on Chris's machine seems to be dealt
> with in a
> case-sensitive manner. Using interactive mode for port simplifies by
> removing potentially complex interactions with the shell. However,
> for me,
> the case-insensitivity remains. Perhaps this is due to some different
> configuration setting. Or maybe it's a difference between Leopard
> and Tiger.
> Since, thanks to this thread, I now have several ways of dealing
> with these
> searches efficiently, I don't think it's worthwhile investigating
> the matter
> further. However, if someone knows why there's this difference,
> without
> having to spend time on it, it would be interesting to know the
> answer.
> David

OK ... I'll play dumb ... I'm running Macports 1.7 on OSX 10.5.6 in
Bash ... "port list" and "port info" both work as I'd expect (and are
case insensitive)

iMac:~ $ sudo port list R
R                              @2.8.0          math/R

iMac:~ $ sudo port info R
R @2.8.0 (math, science)
Variants:    gcc42, gcc43

R is a language and environment for statistical computing and
graphics. R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear
modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis,
classification, clustering, ...) and graphical techniques, and is highly
extensible.
Homepage:    http://www.r-project.org/

Library Dependencies: gettext, glib2, jpeg, libiconv, pango, readline,
tcl, tk, tiff, xorg-libXmu, xorg-libXScrnSaver, gcc43
Platforms:            darwin
Maintainers:          kjell.konis at epfl.ch

what doesn't "work" in a similar fashion is
sudo port search R

5124 ports contain a case-insensitive [r|R]

But then you probably wouldn't be searching if you knew the name that
well.

But these do "work"

iMac:~$ sudo port search ' R '
R @2.8.0 (math, science)
     R is GNU S - an interpreted language for statistical computing

iMac:~$ sudo port search " R "
R @2.8.0 (math, science)
     R is GNU S - an interpreted language for statistical computing

`Mark