port collections

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 21 13:41:03 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 01:27:44PM -0800, Bradley Giesbrecht said:
> Is there such a thing as a port collection?
>
> Like port install-collection lamp or something that would install not-
> linux:)/apache/mysql/php/python/perl?
>
> Bad example but just wondering.

There are a couple, gnome [1] and gimp [2] that I know of.  The problem with
this in some situations is dealing with variants, as depending on ports
currently doesn't handle variants [3].  So for something like MAMP, where
you'll probably want mysql5 with the +server variant, and possibly quite a
few variants with php5, it can't be done.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/gnome/gnome/Portfile>
[2] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/gimp/Portfile>
[3] - <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/126>