Strange MPlayer error after successful install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 23 00:51:57 PST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 21:19, Tim Visher wrote:

> I've had a successful run of installing mplayer and now I'm getting a
> strange error when attempting to use it.
>
>      dyld: Library not loaded: bin/libsmbclient.dylib.0
>        Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/mplayer
>        Reason: image not found
>        Trace/BPT trap
>
> Thoughts?

I don't see that message on my system, but there are several
interesting things about it: 1) it has a relative path for the
library it can't find; usually they're absolute paths; 2) the library
is being looked for in bin; libraries virtually always live in lib;
3) the library version is after .dylib, which is like on other
operating systems where the version comes after .so, but on Darwin,
the version is supposed to come before .dylib, e.g. libsmbclient.
0.dylib.

Do have a file somewhere on your hard drive whose name starts with
"libsmbclient"? If so where is it, and if it's in the MacPorts
prefix, what port installed it?