odd Gnucash dependencies

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Dec 23 14:36:26 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 02:33:31PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:

> On Dec 23, 2008, at 10:13, Lenore Horner wrote:
>
>> Running
>> sudo port install gnucash +without_hbci +without_ofx +without_quotes
>>
>> on a clean install of MacPorts 1.7.0 on a Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.5.6
>> and XCode 3.1
>>
>> seems to install multiple versions of docbook-xml (4.3, 4.1.2, 4.2,
>> 4.4, 4.5, and 5.0) as shown in the excerpts below. I notice that the
>> successive versions are not saying they deactivated previous versions.
>> I haven't finished the installation yet, so I don't know if this is
>> working or what ends up active, but it seems, naively, like very bizarre
>> behavior.
>
> I believe that's simply the way the docbook-xml ports are designed to
> work. I don't know why but perhaps Maun Suang or Anthony can explain why
> the ports are like that.

Yes, that's how it is supposed to work; note that it isn't installing
multiple versions of docbook-xml but a docbook-xml-4.1.2, docbook-xml-4.2,
etc.  Since different docbook sources use different versions of the DTDs,
each really needs to be installed to cover them all.  That's why the actual
docbook-xml port depends on all of the versioned ports.

Bryan