xfe (fox) segmentation fault

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Fri Dec 26 09:14:39 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2008, at 11:58, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> I don't get a segmentation fault on Tiger... When X11 is not running
>>> I get:
>>> $ adie
>>> Adie::openDisplay: unable to open display :0.0
>>> And when X11 is running I get:
>>> $ adie
>>> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Cannot connect to non-local host
>>> ????????????
>>> XIO:  fatal IO error 22 (Unknown error: 0) on X server ":0.0"
>>>       after 7 requests (6 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>>> Which is this ticket:
>>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17558
>>
>> I am well aware of that bug.  It can be at least partially fixed for
>> gtk2 by removing the libXfixes dependency from the portfile, as I
>> report in the ticket.
>>
>> Perhaps this bug with the fox library is related... How can we debug it?
>
> I'm not sure... Since adie crashed, hopefully it wrote a crash log to
> ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. Maybe its contents will clue us in...

In the last two days, fox-1.6.34 was checked into Macports.  Initially I
got:

$ sudo port install fox
--->  Fetching fox
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for fox
--->  Extracting fox
--->  Configuring fox
--->  Building fox
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_fox/work/fox-1.6.34"
&& make all " returned error 2
Command output: FXFont.cpp:509: error: 'FC_WIDTH_SEMICONDENSED' was not
declared in this scope
FXFont.cpp:510: error: 'FC_WIDTH_NORMAL' was not declared in this scope

After some googling, it was apparent this is related to the Xft2
libraries.  After installing the Macports Xft2 (instead of relying on
Apple's), it installs cleanly, does not segfault, and xfe also now
works!  Again, this is on Tiger.

I have filed a bug report for fox:  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/17779

Also, gtk2 (+x11) still compiles and works fine, even though Xft2 pulled
in the Macports xrender.

Jonathan