Newbie - Keeping a macport installation clean

Thomas Gommes tgommes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 14:08:31 PST 2008

Hi Everyone,

after a couple of year using Gentoo Linux, I moved to Mac OS and was
very happy to discover Macport. I have been playing around with it since
a couple of days, installing and removing quite some stuff. I was now
wondering if there was a way to keep the macport installation clean. I
could not find advices on this topic in the doc; sorry if i missed it.

What I'm looking for is the equivalent of the Gentoo "emerge depclean"
and "revdep-rebuild" commands; the idea is that the installation of
package 1 also installs package 2 and package 3 as dependencies.
Removing package 1 afterward would keep the packages 2 and 3 installed
where there are no longer necessary. The "emerge depclean" command would
remove the packages 2 and 3. This could however break some other package
4 that would depend on package 3 for instance. Revdep-rebuild would find
this and re-install package 3. Is there a way to achieve the equivalent
with macport?

Many thanks for the help and for making macport,

Thomas