New Mirror in Sweden

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Dec 29 02:00:55 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 1:49 AM, Mark Hattam wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2008, at 03:09, William Siegrist wrote:
>
>> The MacPorts project has a new mirror for both distfiles and
>> portfiles in Stockholm, Sweden.  The distfile mirror will get used
>> automatically when it is faster for you, but the portfile mirror is
>> set in your sources.conf. See the wiki for more details.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Bill
>

> Is this sources.conf file something we have to edit manually? Of is
> it updated when we sync/update?
>
> The only non-commented line in my MacPorts 1.7 is
> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>
> and that line has more "path" on it than the Wiki page suggests.

You manually opt into the mirror by replacing the default URL with one
of the others on the wiki page. You'll note that the default is the
first one on the wiki page (the mirror at Apple in California).  So
yes, edit the file manually. We do not have a lot of documentation on
the file, but you should just be able to replace one URL for another
(and leave that [default] tag there).  You can read the MacPorts guide
for more details.

And good point on the paths missing on the URL. I added them to the
wiki so hopefully it is less confusing.

Thanks
-Bill