Perl 5.8.8 already present on Leopard; can I make a "dummy" Portfile?

nicerobot com.nabble at nicerobot.org
Mon Dec 29 07:59:09 PST 2008

Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> If you really wanted to, you could hack the portfile (or the macports
> perl install) to have @INC behave the way you want. It's just probably
> not something that is going to be set by default.
>
> It's even less user-friendly to break seemingly randomly (what, I
> installed some broken module foo in my system perl and now all of the
> macports I installed that depend on perl are broken?)

This is really the point of my request in the first place. _I can_ hack the
system to do this and the fact that others seem to want to do something
similar means i'm not alone. I was simply asking for ports to provide a
feature to have the perl build do this automatically so that i don't have to
mess around with it myself. For a user to enable such a feature implies they
have some idea of what they're doing and know it could destabilize macports
so it isn't breaking it "seemingly randomly" since it would be intentional.