Can the port command take advantage of multiple cores?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 2 15:45:35 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:53, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> As the subject says, can I take advantage my my shiny new dual-core
> MacBook
> Pro?  Something like "port install -j2"?

Not exactly. Not all software supports parallel building. Each port
must be tested to ensure that it works. As ports are tested,
"use_parallel_build yes" is added to the portfile. Then MacPorts will
build those ports using -j$jobs (where $jobs is the number of CPU
cores in your computer). This was added for MacPorts 1.6.