libtool woes

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Sun Feb 3 11:27:30 PST 2008

paul beard wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 1:32 AM, Anders F Björklund <afb at macports.org
> <mailto:afb at macports.org>> wrote:
>
>     paul beard wrote:
>
>     > Looks like I have some problem with libtool.
>     > libIDL and Apache2 both fail to upgrade.
>     > libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
>     > libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
>
>     This problem is since the change to "/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" for CC.
>     Switching compiler back to "gcc" (or "gcc-4.0") makes it work.
>

> what baffles me about this is that the libtool that's being invoked is
> part of the port's code:
>
> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -O2 -no-cpp-precomp
> -version-info 0:0:0 -L/opt/local/lib -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv
> -no-undefined -L/opt/local/lib -o libIDL-2.la -rpath /opt/local/lib
> parser.lo lexer.lo ns.lo util.lo
>
> if I run port configure (with -d), what's happening here?
>
> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking for ld used by /usr/bin/g++-4.0... /usr/bin/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
> checking whether the /usr/bin/g++-4.0 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
> shared libraries... yes

libtool is usually built in the build directory by running configure, it
is included in the package. I had a quick look at the bugs mentioned:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13653
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13648

In both cases an installed GNU libtool is being called with a different
compiler (at least a different compiler name) than it was built with. In
these cases the tag *must* be specified --tag=CC or --tag=CXX etc. as
GNU libtool can not guess it. Use the CC tag for C sources and the CXX
tag for c++.

For automake based projects automake adds the --tag when compiling with
gnu libtool, for other projects upstream developer should be adding it,
please send them patches.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman