libtool woes

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Sun Feb 3 11:50:55 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> what baffles me about this is that the libtool that's being invoked is
>>> part of the port's code:
>>>
>>> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc  -O2 -no-cpp-precomp
>>> -version-info 0:0:0 -L/opt/local/lib -lglib-2.0 -lintl -liconv
>>> -no-undefined -L/opt/local/lib -o libIDL-2.la -rpath /opt/local/lib
>>> parser.lo lexer.lo ns.lo util.lo

This is failing with 'unable to infer tagged configuration'? Seems
pretty strange as it has a --tag argument, it should not even be trying
to infer the tag.

>>> if I run port configure (with -d), what's happening here?
>>>
>>> configure: creating libtool
>>> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
>>> checking for ld used by /usr/bin/g++-4.0... /usr/bin/ld
>>> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
>>> checking whether the /usr/bin/g++-4.0 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports
>>> shared libraries... yes
>>
>> libtool is usually built in the build directory by running configure, it
>> is included in the package. I had a quick look at the bugs mentioned:
>>
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13653
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/13648
>>
>> In both cases an installed GNU libtool
>
> which installed GNU libtool? you mean the libtool that the project built
> for itself?

one is calling /opt/local/bin/glibtool, the other is using apr's libtool
(/opt/local/share/apr-1/build/libtool).

>> is being called with a different
>> compiler (at least a different compiler name) than it was built with.
>
> what compiler name was it built with, and what compiler name is it being
> called with? and why are they different?

I assume it was built with 'gcc' and it is being called with
'/usr/bin/gcc-4.0'. Not the same name.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman