gnucash linking wrong libffi.dylib

David Reiser dbreiser at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 21:27:32 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I must confess that I do not even begin to understand prebinding.
> Nor do I know what the OS X analog of the linux ldconfig command and
> configuration is.  But I suspect that the answer to my problem will
> lie in those directions.
>
> I've installed gnome/gnucash using macports (that was a bit of a
> trick because of confusion about which guile installation was
> needed.  Gnucash configure couldn't find guile16, but I had other
> problems with guile 1.8.  I also needed to install "+without_docs"
> because otherwise port tried and failed to install firefox)  But I
> did finally get something compiled and installed.
>
> However, it won't run, and this is what I get to standard error.
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libffi.dylib
>   Referenced from:
>    /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/
> QuartzCore
>   Reason: Incompatible library version: QuartzCore requires version
> 1.0.0 or later,
>    but libffi.dylib provides version 0.0.0
>
> I note that there is a an /opt/local/lib/libffi.dylib installed, but
> apparently that's not the dynamic library that gnucash finds.
>
> As I've said, I am clueless about dynamic libraries, particularly on
> OS X.
>
> I'm running OS X 10.5.1 with Xcode 3.0 on a G5 PPC.
>
> I have also installed the update to X11 from Macosforge.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -j
>

> --
> Jeffrey Goldberg                        http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/

Seems to me that's x11 that's complaining about the version of libffi.
Before 2.2, gnucash used g-wrap to to handle some functions, and g-
wrap brought in a rather ancient version of libffi. gnucash has since
switched to swig for the functions formerly handled by g-wrap, and you
don't even need swig if you are building gnucash from a tarball.

While I don't know anything else about your system, you might try
removing g-wrap, or whatever else is supplying libffi in macports, and
see if xquartz will then use the Leopard-provided /usr/lib/libffi.dylib.

I use that other packaging system, so I can't swear what needs to be
in place, but I don't have any libffi except /usr/lib/libffi.dylib,
and gnucash works for me on an almost  identical system.

Dave