[Proposal ] Name of Python's port

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 10:07:15 PST 2008

Citando js :
> Just as you said, it might not so easy to fix things all now,
> but I think changes for better are a good thing and worth the effort.
> Everyone love to see consistent system layout, right?
> And having a beautiful system forces the system to remain same, I think.

As python2.5 should be the stable version and python2.4 slowly
disappear, I feel renaming dozens of ports is just not worth it. The
future is bright but there is no python<2.5 in it. And in fact,
obtaining a beautiful python modules tree would mean having one port per
package that builds conveniently for each installed python, not having
py24-blabla, py25-blabla, py26-blabla and py30-blabla that are identical
but a few characters...