p5-getopt-long and perl5.8 - activation error

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Tue Feb 5 18:01:21 PST 2008

On 2008-02-05 10:13:03 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> svk requires newer versions of CORE modules than those that ship with
> perl5.8

This is strange because I don't see dependencies on particular
versions in svk.

> The perl community doesn't consider newer released versions of CORE
> modules as 'development versions'.
>
> We really need to do one of a couple of things:
>
> - Change the perl port to install a minimum perl along with individual
> ports for each of the CORE modules
> - Change the @INC ordering (thus making our perl act differently from
> the upstream perl and potentially break any ports that rely on the
> current behavior of @INC ordering)

As the user can already change @INC ordering via the PERL5LIB
environment variable, this won't break anything (or those ports are
already broken).

> - Force users to set $PERL5LIB and/or patch everything to use a custom
> $PERL5LIB
>
> Since there are serious drawbacks to each approach, and no one seems to
> have had time to work out a complete solution, we're stuck with the
> status-quo
>
> I'm sure everyone would be happy if you have an implementation of one of
> those solutions (or something else that's better) available for all of us
> to use.

The 3rd approach doesn't need anything on the MacPorts side.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>