p5-getopt-long and perl5.8 - activation error

Matthew Ross narf_tm at macports.org
Wed Feb 6 07:32:49 PST 2008

Why don't we leave the @INC in the order it is now so we don't break
current perl ports and use the APPLLIB_EXP option like FreeBSD does?

The Perl INSTALL file explains it's use:

"There is one other way of adding paths to @INC at perl build time, and
that is by setting the APPLLIB_EXP C pre-processor token to a colon-
separated list of directories, like this sh Configure -Accflags='-
DAPPLLIB_EXP=\"/usr/libperl\"' The directories defined by APPLLIB_EXP
get added to @INC I<first>, ahead of any others, and so provide a way
to override the standard perl modules should you, for example, want to
distribute fixes without touching the perl distribution proper. And,
like otherlib dirs, version and architecture specific subdirectories
are also searched, if present, at run time."

We can use FreeBSD's Perl port as a good example of this.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/lang/perl5.8/Makefile?rev=1.94
Instead of using vendor they have a directory called BSDPAN.

Call it whatever you like...

If we make this new directory the new default over vendor, as things
are upgraded they will be moved into this directory.
Theoretically everything should work as things are transitioned.