p5-getopt-long and perl5.8 - activation error

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Wed Feb 6 09:12:42 PST 2008

On 2008-02-06 10:40:30 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> On 2008-02-05 10:13:03 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> svk requires newer versions of CORE modules than those that ship with
>>> perl5.8
>>
>> This is strange because I don't see dependencies on particular
>> versions in svk.
>
> Well, if the svk authors used 'use' with version numbers, we wouldn't
> have the problem of loading the wrong module in the first place.

How about patching svk to use 'use' with version numbers, then?
(The bug report and the patch could be forwarded upstream.)

>>> - Force users to set $PERL5LIB and/or patch everything to use a
>>> custom $PERL5LIB
[...]
>> The 3rd approach doesn't need anything on the MacPorts side.
>
> It does if we want things to 'just work' for the end user.

The point is that the end user already needs to change his $PATH.
So, this wouldn't be a big difference.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>