macports installation vs 10.5.1/Xcode 3.0?

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 09:29:10 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing macports on a Leopard 10.5.1 Santa Rosa Macbook with Xcode 3.0. I've run the binary installer (1.6) multiple times. It takes ages on the 'completing install' stage, but eventually does seem to complete with a green tick. I've also tried the tarball, which apparently builds and sudo make installs just fine.

After the binary installer has completed and I open a new Terminal window:
- I do not have any ~.profile script. 'which port' does not return anything.
- 'man port' does not return anything, although /opt/local/man/man1/port1.gz exists
This suggests the postflight installer script has failed somehow in setting up .profile.

So, I manually remove everything, then install and build 1.6.0 via the tarball, and create a .profile as suggested on http://guide.macports.org/#installing. Configure, make and sudeo make install seem to go just fine. A new terminal window has manpage and port command available. On executing sudo port selfupdate I get repeated instances of:
The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().
Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.
and a hang.

...which is the error message I got when I tried sudo /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate after the binary installer ran.

Suggestions appreciated.

thanks,

L.

SaVi satellite constellation visualization: http://savi.sf.net/