Is HFS really "scary"?

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 6 12:07:23 PST 2008

o That's a fair point.  Perhaps better to format a "work" partition as HFSX then
o and keep the system partition as HFS.  That way, you can at least check out
o sources and do various things which are tripped up by case insensitivity while
o still not running afoul of apps like this.

I've been mounting a case-sensitive HFS+ partition as /Users for several
years now (even going back to Panther when it was substantially harder
and less supported). If you do heave unix work, I heartily recccomend
it.

/opt is still on /, though, since most of the MacPorts community doesn't
test case sensitively.

-- Sal
smile.