"port: command not found" after installing MacPorts-1.6.0-10.5-Leopard.dmg

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 7 22:00:17 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 21:23, Esteban Barahona wrote:

> Asunto: "port: command not found" after installing
> MacPorts-1.6.0-10.5-Leopard.dmg
>
> I downloaded the latest package to install macports; but the "port
> command" doesn't work.
> I read the guide up to 2.4. MacPorts and the Shell (at http://
> guide.macports.org)
>
> after disabling "invisible files" and searching for the .profile
> file, it did not appear...
> This seems like quite a basic problem… but I cann't continue with
> testing ports.
>
> Maybe what's left is to configure the terminal so that it can
> accept the "port command"?

MacPorts installer is supposed to configure this for you, but because
of a bug in 1.6.0, this does not happen. This will be fixed in 1.6.1.
You will have to set up your .profile yourself. Since you don't have
a .profile, create an empty file, then follow the instructions in the
guide:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell

You will need to set the PATH variable. If running Mac OS X 10.4 or
earlier, you should also set the DISPLAY variable. If after opening a
new Terminal window, "man port" does not work, you should also add
the MANPATH variable.