Unix Newbie

Peter Hindrichs pth at ispnet.ca
Mon Feb 11 14:07:03 PST 2008

I have followed all the recommendations in getting ready to use ports.
I have Xtools 3.0, X11, (with the latest version 2.1.3) and downloaded
Macports 1.6.0. I have also read that there is an issue with 1.6.0 in
setting up the .profile, my question is that I don't know where to go
from here, I clearly don't have the right path setup, and I am not
sure how to do that.
Here is what I get if I input "env"

Freedom:/ peterhin$ env
MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11/man
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/Sd/SdnvDsNAHdqx7M41XmVmb++++TI/-Tmp-/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-OeUcxx/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=237
USER=peterhin
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-FkaAJd/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
PWD=/
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/peterhin
LOGNAME=peterhin
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-VZvhsj/:0
SECURITYSESSIONID=b0f090
_=/usr/bin/env
OLDPWD=/Users/peterhin

If someone would be so kind as to give me a little time and
explanation how I do this, and or direct me to some basic Unix file
changing info I would be very appreciative.

Peter