Unix Newbie

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 11 22:49:57 PST 2008

Don't forget to Reply All so your message goes to the list too, not
just to me.

On Feb 11, 2008, at 19:08, Peter Hindrichs wrote:

> I did as you suggested and that has worked fine.  My MANPATH Line
> now looks like this:
>
> MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/
> usr/X11/man
> The text after man:/ do I need to delete this or can I leave it in
> the line.?

MANPATH, like PATH, is a colon-separated list. In this case, it's a
list of places where the "man" program looks for manual pages. So you
probably want all of those places that you have listed, so that "man"
can find all manuals, not just those for software installed by
MacPorts in /opt/local.