[Proposal ] Name of Python's port

Suresh Pillai stochashtic at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 13 04:55:41 PST 2008

Obviously the decision has already been made, so I won't comment.  But I
will note what I find annoying as a result of the chosen naming protocol.

I went to install fetchmail and it started to install python24 despite my
having python25 installed.

I am new to macports from the linux world (in Mandriva, the python naming
scheme is simply python with different versions) so I am not sure if this
annoyance/problem is a result of fetchmail not having its dependencies set
to be either or if it's a problem of the chosen naming scheme.

And since the macports python24 does not work in Leopard (bus errors), I
don't even have the choice of letting it install python24.  But
regardless, I shouldn't have to anyways, as I have python25 installed.

I've manually installed fetchmail (with python25) in the meantime, but
this defeats the whole purpose of having a packaging system.

-Suresh