emacs-app dependencies

Garth Corral gcorral at abode.com
Tue Feb 19 22:59:01 PST 2008

Okay, I must be missing something.  Since the carbon emacs port is
seemingly broken on leopard, I decided to check out emacs-app.  While
this does build on leopard, I was somewhat dismayed to see the
dependencies in the Portfile. It's not a huge issue but the one thing
that concerned me was the coreutils dependency.  It's just a whole
load of stuff that's I'd rather not have on my box if I don't need to.

Initially I thought it might be a build-only dependency, in which case
I could just remove it after install.  It is in the Portfile in
depends_lib, though, so port complains when I do that.  I could force
it but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Anyway, I decided to look into the dependencies and I can see no
reason why this is needed.  I groveled the source tarball but couldn't
find any explicit dependency on this.  In fact, it builds and installs
just fine with:

$ sudo port install emacs-app depends_lib=""

and so far it seems to run just fine.  What am I missing.  It would be
nice to remove these dependencies if they are really not necessary.

Anyone?