using a different compiler with macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 00:02:42 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 00:30, Wes James wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Wes James wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to find the config file in macports to change the CC and
>>> CXX default parameters that configure uses when it is run on each
>>> package.  Can someone help me with this.
>>
>>  Not that easily possible, it is absolutely centered on using gcc.
>>  But there is the port gcc_select which allows you to maintain
>> certain
>>  symlinks for gcc, g++, etc. Additionally, each port is free to
>> choose
>>  another compiler subset (because it might require it).
>>
>>  What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>>  Rainer
>
> I have a professor that is using the pgi compiler
> (http://www.pgroup.com/) and i was trying to find a way to set CC=pgcc
> and CXX=pgcpp and maybe some other things for macport to use for
> compiling as defaults.

MacPorts doesn't support that. Maintainers have enough to do already
without needing to deal with users potentially using a different
compiler than they did. Ports are written to compile with the
system's gcc by default, or the port can define a different compiler
to use if necessary.

You could write specific ports that make use of pgi, if that's
necessary. I don't see a port for pgi itself, so you could start by
making a port for pgi if you want.