rsync port 873 blocked

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 00:53:00 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 11:45, Noah Leaman wrote:

> rsync port 873 is blocked for me at work. How can I go about
> performing a sync and/or selfupdate manually?

sync uses rsync by default but could use subversion instead, which in
our setup runs over port 80 so that won't be blocked unless your work
network is silly. To use subversion instead of rsync for the sync
operation, install the subversion software ("sudo port install
subversion" -- or use the one already included in Leopard), then
check out a working copy of the dports tree anywhere on your disk
("svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/
dports macports-ports"). I have mine in my home directory. Then edit
your /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf and comment out the line
"rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/" and add a new line
pointing to your working copy (e.g. "file:///Users/rschmidt/macports-
ports/"). Done. Now "port sync" will update your working copy using
"svn update" instead of trying to use rsync.

selfupdate requires rsync. If you have no rsync, you need to build
MacPorts by hand, for example by checking out the latest tag (e.g.
"svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/tags/
release_1_6_0/base/ macports-base"), going into the directory ("cd
macports-base"), and configuring ("./configure --enable-readline"),
making ("make") and installing it ("sudo make install") yourself.
Probably a good idea to then clean the directory ("make clean"). When
the next version of MacPorts is released, update your working copy by
switching to the new tag ("cd macports-base && svn switch http://
svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_6_1/base") and
then configuring, making and installing as above.