lablgtk can't find cairo (was: Re: Problem with cairo)

Angela Zhu angela22.zhu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 06:16:24 PST 2008

Sorry I didn't make it clear.
I want to use gSourceVIew library provided by lablgtk-2.10.0.
I first tried to use "port install lablgtk2", while it seems to succeed in
installation,
I cannot use gSourceVIew library because no "lablgtksourceview.cma" and "
gSourceView.cmi" can be find on my machine after installation.
But these two files are needed to compile OCaml program using gSourceVIew
library.

That's why I want to try install by hand after installing it using MacPorts
"successfully".

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:43 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2008, at 16:30, Angela Zhu wrote:
>
> > I want to install lablgtk, and when I was doing "./configure" (for
> > lablgtk), I got
> > following attached error msg (1).
>
> Are you manually compiling lablgtk or using one of the MacPorts
> ports, lablgtk or lablgtk2?
>
> If you're using one of the existing ports, please file a ticket in
> the issue tracker and assign it to the maintainer of the port. You
> should also include more of the output showing what's actually
> failing, including what command you originally typed to get to that
> error.
>
> If you're compiling by hand, why not use the existing ports?
>

> > So I try to download cairo and comple it, but after "cd cairo-1.4.14",
> > when I was doing "./configure" (for cairo), I got following
> > attached msg (2).
> >
> > And then a funny thing is that I actually should have cairo
> > installed on my machine
> > using "MacPorts", according to attached commands and msg (3).
> >
> > Anyone can help me to see what are is the problem here?
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > ------------
> > (1) ./configure for lablgtk
> > checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> > checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package
> > requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.13.5    atk >= 1.9.0    pango >=
> > 1.17.3    cairo >= 1.2.0) were not met:
> >
> > No package 'cairo' found
> >
> > Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> > installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> >
> > Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
> > BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
> > and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> > See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> If you're installing by hand: What's your PKG_CONFIG_PATH? Does it
> include the place where cairo is installed?

I did  "echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH" but nothing found, how can I change this
parameter?

> > (2)  ./configure for cairo
> > checking whether cairo's Microsoft Windows font backend could be
> > enabled... no (requires a Win32 platform)
> > checking for cairo's PNG backend...
> > configure: WARNING: Could not find libpng in the pkg-config search
> > path
> > checking whether cairo's PNG backend could be enabled... no
> > configure: error: requested PNG backend could not be enabled
>
> Here too, the PKG_CONFIG_PATH would enable cairo to know where libpng
> is.

Again, I am confused, how could I set those parameters?

Thanks,
Angela